Use our Splinter Removal Kit to effectively remove splinters and ticks. Each kit contains two professional stainless steel instruments:
- The splinter liberator is a pen-like tool that has a sharp pointed end safely protected in a reversible round knurled handle. Simply remove the liberator tip by turning counterclockwise and screw back in place to use.
- The splinter forceps have a wide comfort grip handle for stability and a precise, serrated, triangular-shaped end to grasp the tip of a splinter fragment.
After each use, always remember to clean, dry, and store your tools.
Instructions to Remove a Splinter:
- Sterilize your instruments in boiling water or a flame; they can also be wiped clean with an alcohol pad.
- Clean the affected area with another alcohol pad. Do not use soap and water which can soften a wood splinter making it more difficult to remove.
- Use the splinter liberator to open or stretch the “tunnel” created by the splinter in order to expose the fragment end.
- Once the end is sufficiently exposed, grip it with the splinter forceps and pull out the splinter.
- Clean the area with soap and water; apply an antibiotic cream and bandage as necessary.
- Use for intended use only.
We suggest keeping the kit in a handy place such as your medicine cabinet, kitchen drawer, tool kit, or garage.
Excerpted with permission from Richard O’Brien MD, Emergency Physician, as quoted in Bottom Line Personal